How To Get Low-Income Housing With No Waiting List

How To Get Low-Income Housing With No Waiting List

Shelter is one of the basic human needs aside from food and clothing, but for some people, getting an affordable house can be quite tasking due to low income and a list of other factors.

Low-income earners face a lot of restrictions with getting affordable housing since the rents are increased almost all the time and they also have to cater for food, school fees with those that have kids, and other basic needs apart from paying the house rent as at when due.

Although, facing the reality of low income does not mean you can not get affordable housing as the government has put in place affordable home rentals for low-income earners.

There are programs for low-income housing put together by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development but even for this, there is usually a long list of people awaiting approval.

For you to be able to get government housing assistance easily, it is advisable to seek information from the right agencies and authentic sources to be prepared to pursue getting government assistance on housing.

Steps To Find Low-Income Housing Without The Waiting List

It is possible to skip the long waiting list to be able to get the low-income housing of your choice by following some of the steps below in getting your own rental space.

➡️Research online

The internet is one place where you can get answers to any question or information that is needed and so you can research online for low-income housing near your location. There are tons of websites that one can sign up to get emails of available housing in your preferred location.

➡️Search for housing in less populated cities

Oftentimes, the waiting list for big cities may be too much and some are closed up because there is high demand. You can choose to make your search for affordable housing in smaller cities to be able to skip the long waiting list in the big cities. The less populated the city is the more chances of getting affordable housing very fast.

➡️Get in touch with the Public Housing Authority near you

This is very important and would also fast-track you to get affordable housing without waiting for so long. There is always a Public Housing Authority office situated in your area and you can approach the officials there, state your business and get feedback from them from time to time.

You would need to always be in constant discussion with the agency till your housing issue is resolved, this would allow them to rush up your housing process in time.

Available Low-Income Housing Programs

There are generally three different types of low-income housing programs in the United States for low-income earners, the elderly, disable, and other special needs people. Below are highlights of the different housing programs.

Public Housing

The public housing program is usually handled by the community Public Housing Authority (PHA) with permission from the federal government. The public housing authority assists low-income earners, the elderly, and people with disabilities to get comfortable housing with affordable rent.

There are several criteria that the applicant must fulfill to be eligible for the housing program. Some of which are, the applicant must be a US citizen and up to 18 years of age. The housing program may be available to a single person considered to be a low-income earner but it is majorly for families with low income and other people with special needs.

For the payment of rent, the tenant must pay about 30% of their monthly income. This used to be the normal tenant rent, but maybe otherwise stated depending on the rules of the public housing authority. To be able to get this type of housing fast, you need to explain your situation to the agencies as it will help you to skip the long list and make you a top priority.

Housing for persons with disabilities

Under section 811, persons with disabilities have a right to live normal and comfortable lives and they are provided with affordable housing under this section. The applicants are eligible when they fulfill several criteria such as low-income earner, disability status, and any other difficult living situation being faced currently by the applicant. This type of housing assistance also may sometimes require a waiting list depending on the community, city, and number of persons applying for the low-income housing scheme.

The tenant rent payment is only about 30% of the net income of the person with a disability or as discussed by the agency or property management company. It is important to note that, the landlord or property management company would not directly give out the housing to the disabled person, but they would be required to go through the appropriate local organization that deals with the section 811 low-income housing policy.

Project-based rental assistance

The section 8 project-based rental assistance program is made for people with low income and is at least 18 years of age. The rental assistance program enables tenants to get subsidies in rent from private landlords in the scheme. The affordable housing program is available for both single persons and families. The single person may be able to get a one-bedroom housing unit if it is available, but most times the housing units are available for families with low income.

For the rental rates, the tenants have to pay 30% of their income or 10% of their gross income depending on the rules of the community public housing agency. Section 8 project-based rental assistance is available for only US citizens nationwide.

Section 202 supportive housing for the elderly

This housing assistance is designed for the elderly or senior citizens since they are considered to have less income than any other individual in the country. To be able to live their lives well till the end, the elderly need to stay happy and continue to enjoy the basic needs of which housing is one of them.

Section 202 supportive housing for the elderly is sponsored by the government as they provide funds to private management companies and non-profit organizations to build affordable housing for the elderly.

The eligible age for senior citizens to enjoy this program is 62 years old and the rent payment is usually 30% of their net income. The elderly under this housing program may opt for accommodation with other housing facilities like food, transportation, bathing, and other independent needs.

Apply here

Section 8 housing choice vouchers

This housing program is very popular in the United States and it is used by many people. The section 8 housing choice voucher is handled by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and is available nationwide.

For rent fees, the tenant of this housing program will have to pay 30% of their household monthly income, and the rest of the payment is completed by the housing authority based on the voucher.

Before applying for this type of low-income housing program, it is advisable to check the income level of the state you wish to apply for because there are varying rules in each state concerning the family income level to be eligible for the low-income housing program. After obtaining the housing voucher, it usually goes to the landlord by the housing authority and tenants can always transfer their voucher to another housing authority after a full year.


Low-income housing can be easy to achieve provided you follow the necessary steps and do a lot of research in the state or city you plan to apply to. It is also important to provide accurate information on previous or current housing status, income level, family, and other necessary documents to be eligible for the low-income housing programs and even to get placed on the top list of applicants.


  1. My mother is a 85 yrs old woman and I am 62 yrs woman who I am my mom care giver. We are about to be homeless by end of a month. We are both on Social Security and I work for IHSS (In-Home Supportive Services) part time. I been trying to seek Apartments, Duplexes but credit is below average. I also have a sister who is willing to live with and help paid rent. My sister has a full time job. Can you give me some resources that can help us? Thank you for your time. Sandra

    Email address: ************

    1. Hello Sandra,

      The HUD Section 202 housing voucher provides help for the elderly, contact the PHA office nearest to you to start your application process. Also, you can read through our article on Section 202 housing for the elderlyto gain more insight on the steps to take I getting approved on time.

      1. my pha in lake county florida does not know what section 202 is, please help fill out an application. I am disabled and i may lose my mobile home. i am very low income.

        1. Hi, to fill out the Section 202 form, visit the HUD website here for assistance or call the toll free number: (800) 955-2232.

          1. This is tamencea im a single father i never apply for rental assistant i have 2 daughter 14 n 12 .i need help im homeless but stay with a friends can you help me

          2. Hi Tamencea, applying for a section 8 housing voucher is quite simple and you can visit the local housing authority close to you to explain your needs. You might get lucky and be placed on the emergency waiting list.

        2. I have been contacting my pha for over a year now and they keep telling me that the list is not open to apt for section 8. How long before they open the list so I can apply for section 8?

          1. Hello Sarah,

            We are sorry to hear that! Have you tried going to their office personally? I suggest if possible to go there and tell them about your situation. They might help you and give you the best way to apply for any program that you can possibly qualify for.

            Also, try reading articles from this website, it might help.

            Thank you!

          1. I have already done that. They told me I will have to wait 10 – 24 months when my voucher becomes available. My income is $ 1389.00 a month, and I have a car note , insurance and Medigap.
            I was told there was no way to get help sooner. I have applied to several sites that say there is no waiting list.
            Also section 8 and HUD.
            THANKS Mary

          2. Hello Mary, due to the increased amount of applications received each year by the HUD, it tends to take longer time before applications are approved. I advice you keep updating your application and keep close track of it so that you immediately you get approved, you would be notified.

        1. Yes I am on waiting list an disable three people has gotten killed since I have been in Midlothian village please please help me to get my section eight please I am scared to walk outside in daylight

          1. Hello, you can visit the PHA office where your application is been processed to explain your current living conditions to them. Yu might get lucky and you are then placed on the emergency waiting list.

      2. Can I find low income ihousing for me 59year old just got heart surgery and on disability my son of49 years old caretaker for me we need hime

        1. Hi, you can find low-income housing by visiting the local housing authority office and you can also submit an online application here.

          1. Hi there my name is Brandon and I am disabled and I am in the Lincoln courts in San Antonio Texas and I have been here for over 5 years and I have not been in trouble at all I have been here for a long while now and I am disabled and I really need to get section 8 and I have not been doing anything bad please email me at **** or call my mom she is my power of attorney and she will help me out thanks and God bless I want to go to section 8 so I can have my son spend the nite my x is scared of the naborhood so the sooner the better

      3. Hi this is cathy I’m still waiting for section 8 housing I’m really in need of a place to live

    2. I’m a victim/survivor of domestic violence. My husband shot and paralyzed me from the waist down and left me with a lot of other medical problems because of the shot. I’m currently in the projects and recently he’s been calling me and knows where I live. I can get an emergency transfer but that will just keep me in the city. I need section 8 and it’s closed in NYC. The front door is always broken so anyone walks in and housing is constantly fixing it to no avail. I don’t know how to get section 8 and I need help immediately so what I’m basically telling you is not to hold your breath.

      1. The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program enables low-income New York City families to find affordable housing by paying a portion of their income toward rent. Funds to pay the rental subsidy are provided by the federal government through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). To apply for the NYC Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, you will need to contact or visit your local housing authority.

      2. I’m a retired motion picture studio Worker 74 years old got sick in my second year of retirement need help

        1. The HUD renders housing assistance for the senior citizens and the disabled, you can get these assistance by contacting the PHA office.

    3. I’ve been retired full-time for over a year now and moved south to escape the snow belt. The problem is many others do also and that makes rentals go up. I get the avg. SSI check but my rental w/utilities is too much for me.

      1. Hi Thomas, when you apply for the Section 8 housing voucher, you can get a home of your choice. You can apply at the PHA or online.

    4. I am 61 1/2 . And can’t work because I am on oxygen 24/ husband also receives SSDI. Is there some help I can get. We have to move out of our house by 9-1. Thank you

    5. I don’t know where to put my number to see if I’m not on the waiting list I’m having a hard time. If you could help that would be wonderful thank you.

      1. Hello Irene,

        You can check your status here:

        Hope it helps, thank you!

        Also, If you are a person who is struggling or you have a family member, friend, or anybody struggling to get a home or is currently homeless, join us to discuss these topics and let us help each other.

        We love to hear your heartful thoughts on some matters regarding the housing programs and situations in the United States.

        Pls come and join our growing community:

        See you there, thank you!

      1. We are currently homeless, and have been staying with family and friends. How can we apply for the voucher, like now?.

        1. Hello, you can apply for the Section 8 housing voucher by visiting the HUD website or by getting on touch with the PHA office nearest to you. You can also check the HUD website for the list of the PHA offices in your city or town for quick access.

    1. There’s a lot of information on here but when I called HUD he told me to call 211. I would really like to live alone Orange County is so expensive.
      Any suggestions?

  2. The first week of October I handed my application and all paperwork that was needed for the Housing Authority.
    The lady stated it it would take 2-4 weeks. She also said for me NOT to call them…they’ll call me.
    Today’s date is November 21.
    I have tried to call. Always said she’d call back.
    Never did. What can I do?

    1. Please visit the PHA office where you initially submitted your application to check on the progress. Also bear in mind that, there are constantly more applications than are available housing, and this could be the reason of the delay in getting your response.

    1. Kindly visit the local housing authority in your area to get started on your application process for section 8. Click here to to get a list of the PHA office in your state.

  3. Hello, My name is Sharece H
    I'm desperately looking for an affordable 4bdrm housing… I'm currently caring for my son whom was in a tragic car accident which left my baby boy paralyzed on his left side, so I'm taking care of him. Where I live now is way to costly for the income we receive. We're fairly new to San Antonio and I honestly need help into a solid and stable home for my 3 children.

    1. We are very sorry to hear this. You can apply for the Section 811 housing voucher for your son and also go through our article on housing assistance for single moms to get a faster housing response for your needs.

    1. Get in touch with the local housing authority in your area to apply for housing assistance. Read through the article on housing assistance for single moms here (link here) to understand how to apply and steps to take.

        1. Hello,

          There are several housing programs available for single mums in the US. Please go online to search and apply for as much as possible. For more information read our article here on housing assistance for single mums.

  4. How do I apply for a house voucher? My children and I are homeless and are in need of a home asap we live in a tore up tent

  5. I had got approved for emergency housing vouchers and I found a house to purchase for cheap. Will it help with that??

    1. This would help to quicken your approval process but ensure you contact your local housing authority where you started the registration to notify them of the progress you have made.

    1. We are sorry to hear about this but ensure to get in touch with the local housing authority for emergency housing assistance and how to apply. Click >here for a list of PHA office in your area.

  6. I wish things were as easy as you say! I am getting evicted Feb 1st and I have no where to go no one t0 turn to for help. I am disabled and need a decent place to live. I work hard and have all my life. I lost my job last year at age 51. I need help and I keep hearing of all this help for me. I am searching for help please help
    Thank You!

    1. If you are in urgent need for housing assistance as you stated you are getting evicted, you can apply for the rapid rehousing program here to get a faster response.

    1. Visit the local housing authority to apply for the Section 811 housing voucher which is made available for the disabled in order to get affordable housing assistance.

  7. Me and my wife are in need of a place to live. My mother in law passed away about a week ago from COVID-19. The landlord from the apartments wants us to move out. We go to court on the 18th of this month. We're looking for a house 2 bedrooms and 1 restroom

  8. I'm interested in this program need help with move in cost for myself single and on my own I work but don't make that much I live with my parents in Lynwood California 90262 have to be out in March of this year need a place near my work I'm 52 my car needs to be fixed I can't afford that either need help

    1. Hello,

      To apply for this program, visit your local Public Housing Agency (PHA). Some PHAs have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one PHA

  9. Hello my name is Linda and my husband and I live in a garage because we can't afford alot of money for a apartment we both receive SS inco.e do we qualify for help to get a low income apartment.

    1. Hi Linda,

      To apply for a Housing Choice voucher, contact a public housing agency in your state. If you need more assistance, contact your local HUD office. You will need to fill out a written application or have a representative of your local PHA help you

  10. I have custody of my 13yr old grandson I have been forced out of my apartment that I lived in for 24yrs now I can't afford to move I am now homeless can anyone help me Please

  11. What are people to do if Landlord’s are not willing to take Section 8?because that’s the scenario out here people are losing their vouchers due to a lack of homes accepting them.I don’t know if I have my voucher anymore and I can’t get in contact with my worker.Since the pandemic it’s like even they are not keeping up with their consumers and their not responding back to’s like at this point what do I do?I had a house fire Dec 8th and the home is unlivable and the landlord got rid of my dog and threw all of my things away.before the fire my 5 month old grandson passed away then the fire and I just watched my Daddy pass away in the hospital I’m so numb and lost and homeless my whole life was thrown away and I don’t know what to do!im hurt depressed irritated frustrated stressed out can’t sleep or eat I’m swamping out here I’ve called so many agencies with no luck and now I see no future I was working in 2020 making 2,500 every 2wks I couldn’t get my unemployment or PUA because they put misconduct I tried to fight it but it was so much hoopla I couldn’t try anymore can anyone help please?

    1. Hi Bianca,


      Under the Housing Act, there is no provision requiring a landlord to accept Section 8 vouchers. However, please visit your local housing authority for help as regards your condition.

    2. Im sorry about ur situation I understand im already had the deaths n now facing eviction. Im supposed 2 b out by 3/31/22 and have no place 2 go and i got my 14yr old son who is on SSI and still xant find anything . All i can say is hang in there n don’t give up. U can try DHS or HUD, SECTION 8 OR FHA which is family housing Agency. Good Luck Though. My prayers go go out 2 u.

  12. My son is disabled and has applied for section 8 housing. He is currently on a waiting list for one location in San Bernardino County, California but has never received a voucher. Is there something else he needs to do to get a voucher and not just placed on a list for 1 location?

    1. Hi Brenda,

      Applicants for section 8 housing are usually placed on a waiting list that may take more than 1-2 years. During this time, the applicant can also choose to accept project-based vouchers. Also, check with your Public Housing Authority.

  13. I'm a single mom of three iv been evicted from my home and now homeless and carless I have a full-time job n currently staying in a motel .. I have medical conditions n need help with housing asap living in motel is causing my 7 yr old daughter alot of anxiety ….

  14. I lost my apartment due to black mold was hospitalized for 10days. Had bacteria minagastes in the brain and spinal. Been homeless over a year they never move me to another apartment.
    Was forced to leave.

    1. Hello Ricky,

      Get advice from your local housing authority If you’re homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, your local housing authority is likely to have a duty to help you stay in your home or find accommodation. They may also have a duty to house you depending on your circumstances, such as if you have children who depend on you. Additionally, visit if you have more inquiries.

  15. I am trying to get on some kind of housing, matter fact,im going to the office today,im on disability and where had been living well isn’t the best of a drug free place and they kicked me out

    1. Hi Rachel,

      HUD’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program helps people with disabilities afford rental housing in the private market. Please visit your local housing authority for more information.

    1. If you have been diagnosed with epilepsy and you can’t work and you expect to be unable to work for at least 12 months you can file a claim for Social Security disability benefits. Social Security disability benefits can provide money that you need to pay for things like housing, bills, food, and other expenses.

  16. I lost my job and apt. 2 years ago due to covid. I'm having a hard time getting back on track
    Do I qualify for this?

    1. Hi Sheila,

      If you have lost your job or income due to impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic, you may qualify for housing assistance. Please contact your local housing authority for more information. You may also read up on our article here for more insights.

    1. Hi Mildred,

      As a single mother with kids. You should qualify for housing assistance for single mothers. Please visit for more details and also go through our article here on housing for single mothers for more information.

  17. My husband passed away December 9th I can't afford to rent that we paid when we was together in the same house I get disability and I need a one-bedroom place for myself I can't stand to live in the house he passed away in it's mentally torturing me and I can no longer afford it and I need to be on the housing list so 30% of your income I got until March 3rd to find a place of 2022

  18. Im homeless my home burned down 7/11/2021 and i have nothing living with my daugther and her husband and her son and wife with 3 kids and im disable and she has only 3 bedroom i need my own place to live in i lost everything i had.i really need the section 8 housing voucher and a house in the petersburg Va area

  19. Hello, my name is Retornzia R. I'm just gonna be straight forward, I'm just tired of being homeless. I've helped and bent over backwards for my church family, friends, sisters, the homeless. I'm sick with Multiple sclerosis, and other medical problems. I'm tired. I'm just tired. I need a place to call home. Any help for me and I'd be so grateful.

    1. The HUD section 8 housing program was created to help very low income families afford a home, by default individuals with zero income may also qualify. You can apply for this by contacting any local housing authority in your state.

  20. Looking for disability or low income housing
    I received disability and work part time.
    Any leads/suggestions?

    1. low-income housing, also called affordable housing, is housing for individuals or families with low incomes. To apply, contact your local PHA.

  21. hello im Eric and just like the rest of us my son and i are pretty much homeless. its been about 4 yrs that ive been trying to get help for housing for my two boys and i but no luck its alwayssomething with my application or i just get the run around. im assuming these programs are for single mother only. can someone please throw us a bone and direct us to the right people please…thanks and god bless all of you.

    1. Government Subsidized Housing is another program for a single father. This program is the same as the section 8 voucher, used to pay the rent cost. This program’s main aim is to make sure the single father can get a safe and habitable living place so that the children can lead a safe and secure life. To apply for section 8, please visit your local housing authority.

  22. How do I get on your list for housing for me and my service dog I'm homeless living on the streets I'm 60 years old with a broken knee cap please help me .

    1. Hello,

      You may get on the housing list after you have applied for public housing. This can be done by contacting your local public housing authority for your options.

  23. Yes I have 3 kids I had lost my job due to covid and the fact that the company shut down where I was working and I've been struggling since with trying to find a job I'm willing to do what I have to do as far as work for me and my three kids and my husband I'm so worried that we're not going to have nowhere to go I have lost my grandmother or grandfatherAnd a few other family membersLiterally aAnd I found out that my sonHas autism and he is autistic so I have to have a certain day care for him I just really need a home for me and my kids is there anything out there that anybody can help me with resources pretty please it's urgent I have three days and we will be out

  24. Hi. I need some help. I'm 59 yrs old. I'm on SSI. I live in my car with my small dog. I've applied for Section 8 and I left a message with the Public Housing Authority. I desperately need help.

    1. Hi,

      Please try to confirm if your application for section 8 has been granted and whether you’ve been assigned to a waitlist.

  25. I’m 45 no one excepts me in there little town it’s who you know bc I’m basically live people to who I meet to live somewhere my parents won’t let me live there and I have no one kids older and have own things going I just need help I been on Dallas housing long time nothing Greenville Texas won’t let be apply again bc I did not get the mail says I was approved family did not tell me or I would have come there and lived Caddo denied me royse city same I make good income I can pay rent but no one helps me point me in some direction I would love to get help I. Farmersville Tx but no response I never had housing before and I really need it thanks no hope


  26. I am a married 37-year-old female with three teenagers and 8 months old grandbaby and a husband and have been renting this house for 11 years and the landlord sold the house and we have to move. My husband and I are unemployed at the time seeking work and we have only a week to move out! Can you please help my family find a low income house to rent? Thank you

    1. Visit the Department of Housing and Urban Development website to find subsidized housing in your area. Enter details about your location and the type of housing you desire to narrow down your choices. Subsidized housing is government-supported housing accommodations for people with low to moderate incomes.

  27. I'm in need of a voucher. I am homeless and trying to get away from a abusive marriage. The only thing that is stopping me is a place to live. I have no where to go. I have a parttime job for 2 yrs. Please help me

    1. Hello,

      To apply for a Housing Choice voucher, contact a public housing agency in your state. You will need to fill out a written application or have a representative of your local PHA help you.

  28. I have a place to stay until 2/28
    After that I will not have enough money to pay $ 750.00 a month for rent. I receive $1382.00 from Medicare.
    I have enough oney to move to an apartment and pay 30% of my income.
    I also have a Car Note and Insurance.
    Once I get settled, I will be able to work enough to pay Car Note and insurance.
    Thank you , Please forward any information .
    Or provide additional services.
    I have already applied for Section 8, with a 1 year wait for Housing.

    Thank you Mary H.

    1. Hi Mary,

      It’s great you’ve applied for section 8 and I wish you the best. Please ensure you contact your local hud regularly in order to keep up with your position on the waitlist. It also gives the idea you are still in need of housing to the authorities.

  29. Hi me and my dog Ray have been homeless for months now and go to sleep hungry too often! I dream of the day ill be able to have a place to live again and be able to take a shower every day instead of 2 times a month.The police have been harrasing me with parking tickets galore and are digging a deeper hole for me to be stuck in. Kick us when were down policemen “Americas worst bullies”! I dream of getting a good job again and going to a home not a RV that nobody wants around. Its not a good feeling to be not wanted and treated like a criminal .Its hard enough being hungry with no food and no gas and Johnny Law abusing his power on the homeless!But your not gonna make me hate you cops nope i refuse too i choose to love everyone and wish more peace and unity on this planet we share! We are all equal atleast we were supposed to be.✌🏻God Bless

    1. Hi James,

      Sorry about your condition. Please visit your local Public Housing Authority to explain your condition. You’ll get a housing agent to help you with your housing application

  30. I’m a 54 year old woman I’m homeless and have alot of disabilities plus I’m no longer to drive to a car I cannot go around to fill out forms for section 8 or HUD plus I got no one to take me around. What can I do?

    1. Sorry about all you’ve had to go through. You can contact your local PHA online. If you’re not aware whom to contact, you can search online for contact information of your local PHA.

  31. Hi my name is Jerry I’m a disabled person whose searching for a place to live.And I signed up on the waiting list about 2to3 yrs ago plz help me with the waiting list home search

    1. You may apply for Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly – as implied by its name, Section 202 is the most appropriate option for the elderly as the units are designed to accommodate elderly individuals’ physical challenges. Care and supportive services, such as meals, housecleaning, and transportation are available at these residences.

      To apply, the first step in the process is to contact your local public housing agency. They will provide you with information about submitting your application.

    1. You may apply for Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly – as implied by its name, Section 202 is the most appropriate option for the elderly as the units are designed to accommodate elderly individuals’ physical challenges. Care and supportive services, such as meals, housecleaning, and transportation are available at these residences.

      To apply, the first step in the process is to contact your local public housing agency. They will provide you with information about submitting your application.

  32. You have all these articles on housing never a application or real details on how to obtain housing , I have been waiting for emergency housing for 2 years 3 months

    1. Hello, we don’t offer Section 8 housing application here on the website we only assist you with the necessary informations. However, you can follow up your application by visiting the PHA to know the reason for the your application delay.

  33. I’m a single mother of 4. I am currently unemployed, but I do have some sort of income and in the process of trying to get child support. My problem is that I’ve called every pha around me and every single one of their lists is closed. As of right now I am considered very low income. I need help with the process on how to get on a priority list. We are on the verge of becoming homeless.

  34. My name is Jerry I’m about to get kicked out of my home I have lived in for 9 years I’m disabilities 4 to exact doc say I can’t work I’m 63 almost 64 I will not survive on the streets with all the meds I have to take just to stay alive I’m on ssdi and always have paid my rent but no one will rent to me because I don’t make enough I just need a small apartment I’ve applied for section 8 but that can take years

    1. To get placed on the priority list on Section 8, you need to contact your PHA office where your application is been processed to explain your situation to them.

  35. Iam a single divorce disable father with two disable boysthe14year old has epalisapy the older one18 years old has type 1diabities and amune difinancey need help living in one bedroom pay $1275 per month help please don’t know how much more we can take and we all received received S S I just need some help.

    1. The Section 811 program allows persons with disabilities to live as independently as possible in the community by subsidizing rental housing opportunities which provide access to appropriate supportive services. To apply, please contact your PHA office.

  36. My name is Teresa and I’ll be 61 april 4th. I own my house but it need updating to accomadate me with my disabilities. I’m a disabled veteran. I would really like a very small house with fenced back yard. I have a German Shepherd/Lab mix dog named Rocky. He will be 6 in August. He acts tough but he’s actually needy in the attention department. He comes off aggreassive but jumps up and wants hugs and kisses. Lol.

  37. For those that don’t understand my comment before I don’t know how to write English I was voice texting there’s a couple of mistakes there I am 61 years old I only get 900 a month from Social Security where I live I pay $875 a month I tried to get help with my light water and gas every day gets worse for me I don’t know what else I’m gonna do because I still need a place to live I’m not axing for the government to support me but at least to help me I filled out section 8 in Perth Amboy in Walbridge over 20 years ago every time I called they said that I’m still in a waiting list I don’t even know what number I am I think it’s time for someone to help me now that I need it more than ever I have tried filling out applications but it’s not taking me to the right place where I need to be helped if there is really someone that is reading these messages consider them just let us know if you could help us or not thank you and have a blessed day

    1. hi Olga, I would advise you to visit a physical PHA office and speak with the officials there. You may need to restart your application process before you can be attended to. Due to the long list of applicants each year, it is possible to omit one or two applications.

  38. I need to apply for my husband n our cat was living in unsafe conditions in our last apt n the landlord wouldn’t do no maintenance so we had to move out now stay in a motel until we find another place ..I’m disabled but can fill out n application to get the ball rolling..can you send me the website to fill it out.

  39. What is somebody called me I’m disable to try to get section 8 or HUD housing for years I am disabled I suffer from neuropathy in my hands and my feet I get injections in my back suffered from depression anxiety high blood pressure amongst other things could somebody please call me my phone number is 407-807-1833 show me how to apply the right way thank you Leoncio R. or maybe email me an application ****

    1. Hello, kindly visit the nearest PHA office to sign up for the Section 811. This is targeted at assisting people with disabilities to get affordable housing.

    1. Kindly submit an application for the Section 8 housing assistance program at the PHA office closest to you.

  40. Hi, I’m pregnant with my 8th baby due 06/05/2022 and the oldest is 15. My husband just passed on 02/17/2022. We moved to Dallas but are homeless. We are living with someone but have to be moved out by the 1st. My mom is with me to help but she isn’t working. I receive SSI for my daughter and child support for two of my kids which isn’t much please we are in need for housing.

    1. Hello Shelice, I am deeply sorry about your loss. You can choose to apply for the Section 8 housing voucher at the PHA office close to you or you get other types of housing assistance for single moms. Read through the previous post here here to get all the necessary information on how to get started. Wishing you all the best.

  41. Hi my name is Deanna Jackson and I have been applying over the years since I was 18 years old and I’m 34 now applying for low income housing section 8 or habitat or any rent to own homes and I still haven’t been approved I really need help with a single family house or a rent to own house I hope this time around with me applying that my dreams and my hopes come true

    1. Hi, kindly go to the nearest PHA office or the local housing authority office to fill out and submit an application for Section 8. This time around ensure you always update your information and check your status on the waiting list so that your application is not omitted.

  42. Please I’m homeless living in the streets please I have depression anxiety I need help I’m hungry I need to shower I’m sick please o need someone to herd my prayer call me please I do anything I don’t want to die I tayer cold hungry I don’t have no body

    1. Hello Maria,

      Good day!

      We are sorry to hear that! In your case, there are few programs that can help your situation. If you can locate your nearest local public housing office, it would be great.

      Or you can also check some of our articles, it can surely help you find the best program for you. Articles:

      Thank you!

  43. Hello iam homeless and have a income and to son’s and staying in my car I have tried on line and I don’t know where or how to get a hold of anyone I just keep getting the guide to help me fill out I need the application iam in blur ridge va

  44. I am living in the projects. I am disabled due to my husband shooting me in the back that left me paralyzed and with a lot of medical issues. However, he knows where I live and a restraining order is just a piece of paper that cannot stop another bullet. I know he isn’t done with me yet and I’m scared. I’d like to move into a section 8 house so I am able to move if I need to. How can I transfer my NYCHA to section 8??

  45. I’m tryna sign up for HUD and section 8 for a apartment for me asap they always give me wrong websites to fill out paper work etc I’m not tryn b on long waiting list

  46. I am homeless with my service dog iam disabled paid first of month need to get in a house of my own the heat is making me I’ll 2bedroom I pray my son worries everyday and is scared for me would take care of house and would be truly blessed to get into home in Lexington okla noble okla Purcell okla asap thank u.

    1. Hello there 🙂

      Have a good day! If you got some extra time, you can join our community and discuss some issues there.

      If you are a person who is struggling or you have a family member, friend, or anybody struggling to get a home or is currently homeless, join us to discuss these topics and let us help each other.

      We love to hear your heartful thoughts on some matters regarding the housing programs and situations in the United States.

      Pls come and join our growing community:

      See you there, thank you!

  47. My name is Amie i am homeless and have stage two cervical cancer I can not find any program that will help me and my autistic son he is 24. I have exhausted all my resources and and my wits end i really have no idea where to go for help please help me i have been told there is no funding for people in my position is this true? If there is will you please tell me who?

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *