How To Find Low-Income Housing Near you 

 November 29, 2021

By  Faith B

You Will Learn
  • How to get low-income housing by visiting your local housing agency in your area to submit applications.
  • How to make use of the HUD resource locator to find affordable housing near you.
  • To understand the different types of housing programs available to low-income families, the elderly and people with disabilities.
  • How to get help paying rent and also how to tackle the problem of housing discrimination based on color of your skin, religious beliefs or disability.

Low-income housing, also referred to as affordable housing, is made available for households and individuals with low incomes who are not able to afford decent housing.

Access to housing has become more difficult for low-income families due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and various government, private, and nonprofit organizations have tried to help salvage the situation by providing initiatives and housing relief programs to assist low-income families and individuals in obtaining housing.

Steps to Locate Low-Income Housing Near You

The government’s low-income housing program is administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and to be able to locate affordable housing, you need to follow these steps below.

  1. Work with the HUD agency to determine where you want to live and access your location by clicking the Geolocation Button geolocation hud website on the HUD resource locator.
  2. Search for the contact information of a public housing authority in your area. You can make use of the housing authority’s website to start off the application process. If you don’t have your geolocation on, you can search for PHA near you in the Search Box. search box HUD's website
  3. Check out HUD’s resource locator to find the local housing authority near you and to see what is available in your city of choice.
    mapview Hud's resources locator tool
  4. Making use of the map on the HUD website enables you to filter the search to your preference and get results specific to each office whether;
    • HUD Offices
    • Public Housing Authority
    • Multifamily Properties Assisted
    • Low-income Housing Tax Credit Properties
    • USDA Rural Housing
    • Public Housing Buildings
    • Public Housing Developments
    • Homeless Services/CoC Grantee Area

Follow these steps:

resource selector map HUD's website           Hud's resources checkboxes filter selection

5. If you want to get in touch with the HUD office nearest to you, click on the Phone Button Phone contact housing and it matches you with the nearest HUD office to your location provided your geolocation is enabled.

What are the housing programs?

These housing programs may be administered through the city or county housing agencies with backing from HUD. The housing programs vary in their requirements and the payment of the rental fees also.

Generally, the government subsidizes the housing fees to be able to accommodate as many households as possible. Let’s take a look at some of the available housing programs.

Section 8

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher is a government housing program that is used to assist low-income households with paying part of their rent.

To begin your application for this housing program, you must first contact your local housing authority before proceeding with the procedures outlined above.

Once you have been approved for the housing program, the local housing authority calls for an interview or briefing before the section 8 voucher can be handed over.

This voucher shows that you have been approved to benefit from the housing relief program. If you don’t have a rental facility available upon getting the award of the voucher, the agency gives you a minimum of 60 days to find a rental facility. The money received in the section 8 voucher is paid directly to the landlord of your rental property every month.

Public housing

Public housing is also provided by the federal government through HUD to make affordable housing available for low-income families, individuals, people with disabilities, and the elderly.

To qualify for the public housing program, the applicant must currently earn less than 80% of the area’s median income. An application must be filled out with your local housing agency in your area to commence registration.

Section 202 – Housing for the Elderly

This housing program is specifically for the elderly in society with low incomes or those elderly who do not work anymore.

What HUD does here is partner with nonprofits to provide this type of housing for the elderly or households that have at least one elderly person in them.

When awarded the Section 202 housing, tenants would pay about 30% of their total income or as agreed with the agency for operating costs of the housing unit. To apply, you can visit the local housing authority to see if there are any available openings, or apply through the housing authority website.

Section 811 – Housing for People with Disabilities

Section 811 provides housing for low-income adults with disabilities or families with at least one disbaled adult.

Applications for this type of housing are also submitted through the local housing authority and when awarded the housing relief, tenants would pay 30% of their annual income or pay a budget-based rent as stipulated by the agency.

Just as it is with the other types of housing programs, there is a wait-list here as well, but with speculated preferences that may help to push the applicant up the list for a faster response.

How to Get Help Paying Rent

Not many people are able to qualify and get selected for the housing programs, so if you fall into this category of people who need help paying rent, you can contact your state or local housing finance agency or the local housing agency to get help.

Even if you don’t qualify for any housing assistance from these agencies, they can help by referring you to a community organization or nonprofit in your area that can help.

Identifying and Solving Housing Discrimination

In the United States, property owners and landlords are prohibited from discriminating against people from renting or buying houses because of their race, religion, nationality, and disability. Housing discrimination is prohibited and regarded as a criminal offence if caught by the Fair Housing Act, set up by the government to curb this menace.

  • Landlords and property owners must be willing to provide suitable housing for everyone, notwithstanding their race, beliefs, or religion.
  • Any tenant who is denied housing rights or inability to rent a property due to the reasons listed above can take up the case and report such a landlord to the appropriate authorities, and justice is ready to be served to anyone caught in the act of home bullying.
 To learn more about this app, check out HUD’s Official User Manual 


To go to the app click 👉 here

About the author 

Faith B

I'm Faith, a talented copywriter with many years of experience in creating top-notch content in the housing space. While I enjoy research, singing and chatting, my friends still call me an introvert.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

  1. I was put out of my home in June the landlord was growing all my stuff away and he told me to get off his property. He was a bully he frighten me. I had no heat in the winter and no air conditioning in the spring. This was at 3494 hwy 80 rayville la 71269. Since then I have been homeless I can't even stay at a shelter I have no I. D and no money to get one. I live in abandoned buildings and campers. Thank goodness it has been really cold. I have no winter coat and only flip flops and no socks, because my landlord threw it all away. I applied for assistance but it's all been fake are a scam. I am a educated middle age white single woman with no dependants. I have been trying to get my disability since 2013 fired my lawyer last year. I need back surgery I have bipolar and I am ADHD I also have epilepsy, Ms and an inlarged heart. What's it gonna take me on my death bed because I am almost in a wheelchair.

    1. So sorry to hear about this. Please take out time to visit the PHA in your area to submit your application for section 8 housing voucher.

    2. Hi Donna,

      So sorry to hear about this. Please take out time to visit the PHA in your area to submit your application for section 8 housing voucher.

  2. I am looking to get on section 8 voucher. But I live in st. Paul suburb and they are not taking applications at this time

    1. Hi, please check for PHA offices near you to assert if applications are ongoing at other locations aside your environment. Visit HUD website to get the list of PHA offices.

  3. I’m looking for a two bedroom apartment or house something I can rent I have a 10 month old baby we need somewhere else to stay right away please

    1. Hi, please get in touch with the local housing authority to apply for section 8 and you can also go through our article on housing assistance for single moms to get information on further housing assistance.

  4. I am elderly and in a very bad situation living with a friend. I NEED to move back to Broward county into an affordable place for me. HELP!!! I was on Hud in Ohio and the apartment was beautiful. I really need help now. Roommate stealing my food is only the beginning. Hoping you can help me. God Bless.

  5. I'm a single mom with 2 boys.. one is sick with extreme diabetes. We've been homeless since February… I have begged and begged for someone to please help us with our emergency housing voucher. NO LUCK. IM TO THE POINT OF BREAKING. I feel so worthless.. I was told to accept the program I needed to quit my job they could not give it to me if I had a job. . No I don't have a job and we're homeless and we cannot find a home.. When I adopted my boys I never expected in a million years this would ever happen to us… I just try to keep faith that God will see us through.. I pray and pray. My kids have like no respect for me and blame me for not having a home…. 😭😭

    1. We are sorry to hear this, please check out our article on housing assistance for single moms (link here) to get the information needed to apply for housing assistance.

    2. We are sorry to hear this, please check out our article on housing assistance for single moms to get the information needed to apply for housing assistance.

  6. Hi Faith thank you for all your research in assistance as everybody especially at this time of need. I am 58 years old and I am disabled, my landlord wants me to file the RRP rather than them filing for it. They slip a letter underneath my door that I have 14 days to do it otherwise I am threatened to be evicted. I know there is a tenant landlord law and unless it is signed by the judge will you to be at evicted, they cannot throw me out in the street I may be disabled but I’m not ignorant, I am not Caucasian which is another cause for their reluctance. I am quite anxious because of my deadline is nearly approaching. I was told by Marketing Partners a nonprofit organization helping people apply for section 8 that I got a qualified. I’m not quite sure if I am because they applied and got me approved by their organization? I hope what they claim is true. Should I apply for section 811 instead? Please advise me, thank you.
    Eduardo Serrano

    1. The section 811 is a housing assistance program similar to the section 8 but the section 811 is available for those living with disability. Visit the HUD website to apply.

    2. Hi eduardo,

      The section 811 is a housing assistance program similar to the section 8 but the section 811 is available for those living with disability. Visit the HUD website to apply.

    1. Hello Jonetta,

      There are housing programs for the elderly. To apply and for more information, kindly read our article here on how to go about it.

    1. Hello Tiffany,

      Applying for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs are entirely free, and depending on the PHA, are available online, by mail or at the local housing authority’s office. So kindly visit your housing authority. For more information, kindly kindly go through our article on section 8 here

  7. Me and my kids are homeless off n on past few years. We are in a hotel I can't offord at all please help or lead me in the right direction. Thanks

  8. Hi, my name is Melinda Gracia. I am disabled. I need a home because I'm just bouncing around because I cannot afford to rent or own a house of my own. I've been trying to put in an application at housing in hidalgo but I don't have a car to move in to be there on time for registration. In November it was cold and raining I couldn't go. Is there anyway I can get in without having to stand outside in the cold and so early in the morning? Please tell if you can help me? I can't stand for long periods or walk either for a long time. I need some help. Thank you for your time. Melinda.

    1. Hello Melinda,

      Kindly apply for section 811 housing programs available to people living with disability. Also read our article here for more information.

  9. Hello thank you for letting us know about how we're able to maybe earned a spot with your prompt to reply to try or chances to get a spot faster either way just to tryout see if I'd qualified or not thank you enough for the opportunity..I'd would still have the chance

    1. Hi,

      Thank you for the kind words. We’re ever committed to educating people on the housing programs available to them

  10. Yes I am in desperate need of housing i have been homeless for many of years I am so miserable living on the streets all I want is a place to call home I need help in the right direction I'm crying out for help

    1. Hello,

      You can make recourse to Federal housing assistance: Federal housing programs are one of the most successful housing-based solutions to reduce homelessness. The two largest federal housing programs are public housing and federal housing vouchers, known as Housing Choice Vouchers or Section 8 vouchers.

      Applying for Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs are entirely free, and depending on the PHA, are available online, by mail or at the local housing authority’s office. So kindly visit your housing authority, Romona. For more information, kindly kindly go through our article on section 8 here.

    1. Hello Carmella,

      Kindly apply for the Section 811 program which allows persons with disabilities to live as independently as possible in the community by subsidizing rental housing opportunities which provide access to appropriate supportive services. Also we have written extensively on it here.

  11. I'm 73 and my wife is 71 years old, My wife needs wheelchair accessible entrance on ground floor landlord is renovating house and we have to move by Feb 1, 2022

    1. To apply, contact a local non-profit agency or housing program in your county to apply. Find non-profits to apply at. Another option is a national non-profit that is focused on people with disabilities, and it is The National Supportive Housing Network. For more information, kindly refer to our article here and here.

  12. Faith B. I have left you plenty of comments over time. I qualify for a lot of grants and programs. I am on the hud waiting list for over a year. I need someone to direct me to the right counselor to help. There is no application online for these programs. Please help me!!

    1. Hi Angela,

      Sorry about that.

      To apply for a Housing Choice voucher, contact a public housing agency in your state. If you need more assistance, contact your local HUD office. You will need to fill out a written application or have a representative of your local PHA help you.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Subscribe To Our Housing  Newsletter!