Looking to demystify the maze of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)? You’ve arrived at the right destination. Consider the HUD Resource Locator as your compass, guiding you to an abundance of options at your fingertips.
It might appear daunting initially, but we’re here to simplify it for you and make it approachable. Through our detailed, step-by-step guide, maneuvering through this system will become as breezy as a stroll in a serene garden.
You Will Learn:
- How to make use of the HUD resource locator to find affordable housing near you.
- How to apply directly to HUD sponsored affordable housing opportunities near you directly. No more just waiting on PHA to process your application. Learn how to increase your odds of finding housing assistance.
The government’s low-income housing program is administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Locate affordable housing programs near you by following the steps below.
- Work with the HUD agency to determine where you want to live and access your location by clicking the Geolocation Button on the HUD resource locator here.
- Search for the contact information of a public housing authority in your area. You can make use of the housing authority’s website to start off the application process. If you don’t have your geolocation on, you can search for PHA near you in the Search Box.
- Check out HUD’s resource locator to find the local housing authority near you and to see what is available in your city of choice.
- Making use of the map on the HUD website enables you to filter the search to your preference and get results specific to each office whether;
- HUD Offices
- Low-income Housing Tax Credit Properties
- Public Housing Authorities
- Multifamily Properties Assisted (Elderly and Special Needs)
- USDA Rural Housing
- Public Housing Buildings
- Public Housing Developments
- Homeless Services/CoC Grantee Area
Follow these steps:
5. If you want to get in touch with the HUD office nearest to you, click on the Phone Button and it matches you with the nearest HUD office to your location provided your geo-location is enabled.
Affordable Housing Heroes Special Tip: Apply directly to Affordable Housing Apartments! DO NOT just wait on your local housing agency or authority to open waiting lists or respond to your application (not many applicants know this BUT following the steps below could greatly improve your journey and odds of getting applying and being approved to affordable housing assistance).
- If you are tired of dealing with your local Public Housing Authority (PHA), whom might be very much overwhelmed and delayed in replying to Housing Voucher Applicants, then apply directly to Low Income Housing Tax Credit Properties using HUD resource locator, should be your next step.
- Use HUD resource locator and choose the first option “Find Affordable Housing Opportunities Near ME.” Search your area for purple icons on the map for: ” Low Income Tax Credit Properties” click on Properties on the map nearest to you. Apply to all properties that you are comfortable with living in.
- Contact the property management company. HUD may only give you the name of the property. You will need to google the name of the property to get the properties website and contact info.
- Each property may have their own eligibility requirements, so it’s important to read the application carefully and provide all required documentation. You do not need to be approved for a HUD voucher to apply but you will need to qualify for the property by applying and being approved through properties own approval process.
- Low-income Housing Tax Credit Properties will also accept (HCV) Housing Choice Vouchers! If you were already approved by the PHA for a Section 8 voucher, then this is a great way to find a landlord that will accept your Section 8 Voucher. Contact the property to confirm and apply.
- If you do not have a voucher you can contact the Tax Credit Property and apply directly to the apartment building or leasing company. This means you DO NOT have to wait on the PHA to get back to about your application for Section 8, you can continue your search for affordable housing by applying to each tax credit property in your area!
Do I need to create an account to use the HUD Resource Locator?
No, you don’t need to create an account to use the HUD Resource Locator. It is a free and publicly accessible tool provided by the HUD.
Is the HUD Resource Locator available on mobile devices?
Actually, the HUD Resource Locator works pretty great on mobile devices, too. Just by entering your location info, or letting your device’s GPS do the work, you can find resources right near you. This useful info is presented in a way that’s customized for easy use on your mobile. Plus, you’ve got the option to filter results based on what you actually need or prefer.
Is the HUD Resource Locator available in languages other than English?
Yes, the HUD Resource Locator isn’t just for English users… If you’re more comfortable with Spanish, you’ll be glad to know there is a Spanish version just for you.
To learn more about this app, check out HUD’s Official User Manual
To go to the app click ? here