How To Get Low-Income Housing Fast

Low-income housing assists individuals and families that do not have a home. Homelessness is a rising issue, and it is often that those that need help immediately don’t get help fast enough or at all.

Keep reading to learn how you can get housing fast when you are struggling.

What Programs Are Available To Help Find A Home?

There are two different programs you can look to when you need housing.

First is the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD); this program provides safe and quality housing for low-income, elderly, and those with a disability.

Second, Continuum of Care (CoC) is a program that provides funding to quickly house those that are homeless or in transition because of a disaster.

When you think of housing, we often refer to Section 8, now named Housing Choice Voucher, but this is only a fraction of what is available.

HUD Programs

  • Housing Choice Voucher – You can find a home of your choice from a private landlord at a subsidized rate.
  • Public Housing – Government-owned apartments and homes at a subsidized rate.

CoC Programs – Run through non-profit organizations but are funded by HUD

  • Rapid Rehousing – Like the Housing Choice Voucher, but they have homes readily available to you faster than Section 8 (HUD).
  • Permanent Supportive Housing Once you’re approved, it is permanently available to you and completely paid for you. This program is available for more complex situations like those with drug addictions or mental illnesses.

Which Housing Program Can Help Me Fast?

Rapid Re-Housing:
Of the programs between both HUD and CoC, getting help from a Rapid Re-Housing Program should benefit you faster than going through traditional Section 8 HCV or Public Housing.

Rapid Re-Housing is a housing intervention strategy that connects homeless families and individuals to permanent homes through a customized package of resources, including short-term financial aid and other services suited to the applicants needs.
The purpose of the program is to shorten the period of time a person is homeless and to assist them in achieving long-term housing stability.

Rapid Re-Housing is a low-cost approach to ending homelessness that focuses on removing the housing issues that caused homelessness in the first place.
The method is based on the assumption that most homeless families can return home and remain housed without long-term supportive services.

Short-term support has shown enormous potential in relieving many families’ acute homelessness crises and preventing future homelessness.

Of the programs between both HUD and CoC, getting help from a Rapid Re-housing Program aims to benefit you faster than going through traditional Section 8 HCV or Public Housing.

HUD exchange states that after you apply and are approved for Rapid Re-Housing, the program hopes to get you in a home as soon as possible, HUD states within 30-60 days, while Section 8 HCV’s could possibly years due to long waiting lists.

Please be aware that not all areas have the same resources and housing available. We have communicated with many areas that are behind the 30 day mark in placing people in homes.

However we are confident if you qualify and are approved for a type of Rapid Re-Housing that it typically is a much faster solution to housing assistance than many other subsidized rental assistance program like Section 8 HCV’s and Pubic Housing.

Please note that your area may refer to their homelessness and emergency housing in other terms. Please contact the COC in your area and ask for information about rapid rehousing or resources for emergency housing. Steps and links to on how to contact your COC and PHA are at the bottom of the page.

Rapid Rehousing Programs are usually a faster option for emergency housing because it is easier to meet requirements. This program is readily available for those that are homeless or nearly homeless. Homelessness, by definition, is when you don’t have a home.

Meaning, you don’t have title to a home, or your name isn’t on a lease.  You can be considered Homelessness even if you’re temporarily staying in an extra room of family or a friend’s home.

HUD’s definition of Homelessness is:  “A homeless individual or family that lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence.

There is no where to apply for directly for Rapid Re-Housing online. To our understanding, you will need to ask your local Public Housing Agency (PHA) office about their CoC sponsored programs for homelessness and rapid rehousing.

For a list a Public Housing Authorities in your area go here and follow the instructions in the article. Or go to HUD’s PHA database here.

Enter your state and then contact the PHA nearest to where you will live. Ideally you should seek housing assistance where you have work, family or living history connecting you to the area. PHA offices will verify information on your application. Most PHA offices will have an online applications to the housing services they provide.

How Can The CoC Help Beyond Housing?

With any assistance program, they want to see an improvement in your situation. Additionally, due to funding, the program can’t help forever.

The CoC’s ultimate goal is for you to be independent. But they will give you all of the assistance you need to get there. Here are a few alternative methods that the CoC Rapid Rehousing program will use to help you regain independence.

  • Wean you off of their housing assistance. As you start becoming more financially stable, they will wean you off their assistance to keep you from becoming dependant. However, if you’re unable to be independent, then their program, Permanent Supportive Housing, is a better option for you.
  • Get you in touch with affordable and necessary medical or mental health assistance. While they can’t directly help you, they can assist you in applying for assistance through other programs.
  • Transportation Assistance. Get you to and from appointments or place of employment.
  • Utility Assistance. Help pay all or some of utilities such as water and electricity. Help pay for all or some of your deposit on utilities.
  • Child Care. For families with small children, you can rest assured that your children are in a safe environment while you are working for free or at an affordable rate.


If you find yourself facing homelessness, there are housing assistance programs that can get you into a home within 30-60 days,  typically much faster than Section 8 (HCV) or Public Housing. Below are some options that might help:

  1. You will need to ask your PHA about their CoC sponsored programs for homelessness and rapid rehousing. There is no where to apply directly for Rapid Re-Housing (as far as we know). You need to speak to your local Public Housing Agency or authorities about your situation to qualify.
  2. For a list a Public Housing Authorities in your area go here and select your state. You can then find the nearest office to your location.
  3.  Be sure to contact your PHA about: Public Housing,
    Supportive Housing, low income, Elderly, and Special Needs Housing
    • Ask about all Housing resources!
  4. Visit this article and follow the instructions to locate all housing resources in your area online!


    1. To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

  1. I’m interested in the rapid housing program, I recently became homeless due to covid! I had to move out of my apartment because I could no longer pay rent, I lived at my apartment for 10 years prior to Covid I was assisted minimally by Texas Rent Relief, but they took to long with help after I requested additional assistance, and was evicted I’m 64 years old and on retired social security and snap program, I could use any assistance in finding a place to live!

      1. I have to be out of where I live by March 31/22.
        Never been faced with this situation before .Absolutey nothing avaible interested in foreclosures by nobody keeps the list up to date. Everything is so expensive.Honestly don’t know what to do. I had a stroke it effected me a lot. I am retired 68 yr old woman alone .i would love to stay in area I live but anywhere will work. Please respond asap
        Thank you

        Marilyn H.

        1. hello, you would have to apply to section 8 with the PHA office. This grants you access to affordable homes.

    1. Im 53 yrs old disabled and facing homelessness I’m having a terrible time try to get the help I need for housing pleas contact me A S.A.P

      1. hi the section 8 housing voucher caters for people with disability and the elderly. Therefore you should submit an application for the section 8 by visiting a close by oha office or online via the HUD website.

        1. I am in need of houseing I been sleeping in my car and taking showers where I can pl help me soon as u can pl 724*******

          1. Kindly submit your application for the section 8 housing voucher when you visit the local housing authority office in your area.

    2. I’m being told that my rent is 700.00 and I will not be able to afford it I all I get is 801.00 a month and I am disabled and I don’t have any transportation or place to live if you can help me 214-***-****

      1. hi, submitting a section 8 application would allow you to get affordable housing at the preferred location of your choice. Visit the local housing authority to submit one

  2. In need of help I’m homeless living house to house. Can’t find a job don’t know anyone to help me. I’m in alot of pain due to stress and depression

    1. Hi, kindly speak with the housing authority in your city to register for the Section 8 housing voucher.

      1. My name is Patricia P. I’m trying to find a home for me and my daughter and grandson we need a home her husband kicked them out and they are having to stay with my sister it’s getting crowded here she has her daughter and grandkids here to please help I’m on disability

        1. Hello, I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s situation, however she can apply for housing assistance as a single mother while you apply for the Section 811 voucher for people with disability. To get further information on how to apply for housing assistance as a single mom, kindly read the previous article here. You can also visit the PHA office to submit your section 8 voucher application.

          1. Hello Angelina,

            If you have reached 62 years or older.

            Let me know if there’s anything we can help? Thanks!

          2. Hi l need housing. I’m a working 64 year old woman that is living in a 2 bedroom with my daughter and her son. I need a home ASAP please help me. I need a 1 bedroom apartment.

          3. Hello Darlene,

            We are sorry to hear that! In your case, I think you can qualify for the housing programs for seniors. I highly suggest going to your local PHA office and ask for the best way to apply for the programs you can qualify for. You can also just ask any of your family members to go there in case you aren’t able to. Just make sure to bring all of the possible documents that the PHA might ask.

            Also, you can read and learn more from this article:

            Hope it helps, thank you!

          4. Hello my name is Nancy cuesta im in need of my own place ive lived with my brother and sister in law for6 yrs in retired and live on my social security would appreciate if you can help me with a place TY and god bless

          5. Hello there 🙂

            Have a good day! If you got some extra time, you can join our community and discuss some issues there.

            If you are a person who is struggling or you have a family member, friend, or anybody struggling to get a home or is currently homeless, join us to discuss these topics and let us help each other.

            We love to hear your heartful thoughts on some matters regarding the housing programs and situations in the United States.

            Pls come and join our growing community:

            See you there, thank you!

      2. Hi .my wife and I are both senior citizens, my wife is also disabled. We been informed by our landlord of 16 years that as of 6/1 2022 our rent will increase from 739.00 / 899.00 with my wife disability I have to be home with her. So am saying we will have to stop paying our bills or become homeless

        1. Hello, you can avoid becoming homeless and get assistance to pay your bills and house rent if you and your wife submit an application for the Section 8 housing voucher. You both qualify as senior citizens and your wife can also apply as a disabled in order to get a chance to be placed on the priority list. Visit your local housing authority office and explain your present situation to the officials there.

        1. Hi Ann, register for the Section 811 housing program to get your housing needs sorted out. Register online or the local housing authority office

      3. We live in an apartment. I am 68 ONLY get Medicaid. Less than 850. A month. My husband gets a check 200. Or alot less a month. I have COPD emph chrones and I can’t stay by myself, but I have to. I just had surgery on my arm and can’t do anything. At 68 years old I do not Qualify for Medicare as I was raised in no fault of mine did not know about anything of what was to come. I only qualify for medicaid. I have no teeth, COPD emph chrones and do things my self or what my husband can do. This may sound strange , but it is all true. I don’t get benefits like others. Thanks 🙏🙏

      4. I been homeless for almost 20 years and I had a stroke I am looking for a place to stay I have 3 kids and we are in need of a place to stay please help me God 😢😪

        1. Hello Sharon,

          We are sorry to hear that! In your case, there were a lot of programs that might possibly help you and your kids.
          Maybe the first best step to do is to go or contact your local public housing authority office and express your situation to them and ask for the right program that will fit in your situation. And what program to get you help from faster.

          And to get more information, you can read this article:

          Hope it helps. Thank you!

    2. Hello. I have a place but I’m likely to lose it. I moved here with a roommate who has moved Out. I’m stuck with pay the whole rent in order to stay here. I need assistance ASAP! I will be homeless by the end of the month. I’m a former LA County Probation officer. I need help.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *