How To Get Low-Income Housing Fast

How To Get Low-Income Housing Fast

Low-income housing assists individuals and families that do not have a home. Homelessness is a rising issue, and it is often that those that need help immediately don’t get help fast enough or at all.

Keep reading to learn how you can get housing fast when you are struggling.

What Programs Are Available To Help Find A Home?

There are two different programs you can look to when you need housing.

First is the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD); this program provides safe and quality housing for low-income, elderly, and those with a disability.

Second, Continuum of Care (CoC) is a program that provides funding to quickly house those that are homeless or in transition because of a disaster.

When you think of housing, we often refer to Section 8, now named Housing Choice Voucher, but this is only a fraction of what is available.

HUD Programs

  • Housing Choice Voucher – You can find a home of your choice from a private landlord at a subsidized rate.
  • Public Housing – Government-owned apartments and homes at a subsidized rate.

CoC Programs – Run through non-profit organizations but are funded by HUD

  • Rapid Rehousing – Like the Housing Choice Voucher, but they have homes readily available to you faster than Section 8 (HUD).
  • Permanent Supportive Housing Once you’re approved, it is permanently available to you and completely paid for you. This program is available for more complex situations like those with drug addictions or mental illnesses.

Which Housing Program Can Help Me Fast?

Rapid Re-Housing:
Of the programs between both HUD and CoC, getting help from a Rapid Re-Housing Program should benefit you faster than going through traditional Section 8 HCV or Public Housing.  Rapid Re-Housing is a housing intervention strategy that connects homeless families and individuals to permanent homes through a customized package of resources, including short-term financial aid and other services suited to the applicants needs.
The purpose of the program is to shorten the period of time a person is homeless and to assist them in achieving long-term housing stability.
Rapid Re-Housing is a low-cost approach to ending homelessness that focuses on removing the housing issues that caused homelessness in the first place.
The method is based on the assumption that most homeless families can return home and remain housed without long-term supportive services.
Short-term support has shown enormous potential in relieving many families’ acute homelessness crises and preventing future homelessness.

Of the programs between both HUD and CoC, getting help from a Rapid Re-housing Program aims to benefit you faster than going through traditional Section 8 HCV or Public Housing.  HUD exchange states that after you apply and are approved for Rapid Re-Housing, the program hopes to get you in a home as soon as possible, HUD states within 30-60 days, while Section 8 HCV’s could possibly years due to long waiting lists.

Please be aware that not all areas have the same resources and housing available. We have communicated with many areas that are behind the 30 day mark in placing people in homes.

However we are confident if you qualify and are approved for a type of Rapid Re-Housing that it typically is a much faster solution to housing assistance than many other subsidized rental assistance program like Section 8 HCV’s and Pubic Housing.

Please note that your area may refer to their homelessness and emergency housing in other terms. Please contact the COC in your area and ask for information about rapid rehousing or resources for emergency housing. Steps and links to on how to contact your COC and PHA are at the bottom of the page.

Rapid Rehousing Programs are usually a faster option for emergency housing because it is easier to meet requirements. This program is readily available for those that are homeless or nearly homeless. Homelessness, by definition, is when you don’t have a home.

Meaning, you don’t have title to a home, or your name isn’t on a lease.  You can be considered Homelessness even if you’re temporarily staying in an extra room of family or a friend’s home. HUD’s definition of Homelessness is:  “A homeless individual or family that lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence.

There is no where to apply for directly for Rapid Re-Housing online. To our understanding, you will need to ask your local Public Housing Agency (PHA) office about their CoC sponsored programs for homelessness and rapid rehousing. For a list a Public Housing Authorities in your area go here and follow the instructions in the article. Or go to HUD’s PHA database here. Enter your state and then contact the PHA nearest to where you will live. Ideally you should seek housing assistance where you have work, family or living history connecting you to the area. PHA offices will verify information on your application. Most PHA offices will have an online applications to the housing services they provide.

How Can The CoC Help Beyond Housing?

With any assistance program, they want to see an improvement in your situation. Additionally, due to funding, the program can’t help forever.

The CoC’s ultimate goal is for you to be independent. But they will give you all of the assistance you need to get there. Here are a few alternative methods that the CoC Rapid Rehousing program will use to help you regain independence.

  • Wean you off of their housing assistance. As you start becoming more financially stable, they will wean you off their assistance to keep you from becoming dependant. However, if you’re unable to be independent, then their program, Permanent Supportive Housing, is a better option for you.
  • Get you in touch with affordable and necessary medical or mental health assistance. While they can’t directly help you, they can assist you in applying for assistance through other programs.
  • Transportation Assistance. Get you to and from appointments or place of employment.
  • Utility Assistance. Help pay all or some of utilities such as water and electricity. Help pay for all or some of your deposit on utilities.
  • Child Care. For families with small children, you can rest assured that your children are in a safe environment while you are working for free or at an affordable rate.


If you find yourself facing homelessness, there are housing assistance programs that can get you into a home within 30-60 days,  typically much faster than Section 8 (HCV) or Public Housing. Below are some options that might help:

  1. You will need to ask your PHA about their CoC sponsored programs for homelessness and rapid rehousing. There is no where to apply directly for Rapid Re-Housing (as far as we know). You need to speak to your local Public Housing Agency or authorities about your situation to qualify.
  2. For a list a Public Housing Authorities in your area go here and select your state. You can then find the nearest office to your location.
  3.  Be sure to contact your PHA about: Public Housing,
    Supportive Housing, low income, Elderly, and Special Needs Housing

    • Ask about all Housing resources!
  4. Visit this article and follow the instructions to locate all housing resources in your area online!


  1. In need of help I’m homeless living house to house. Can’t find a job don’t know anyone to help me. I’m in alot of pain due to stress and depression

    1. Hi, kindly speak with the housing authority in your city to register for the Section 8 housing voucher.

      1. My name is Patricia P. I’m trying to find a home for me and my daughter and grandson we need a home her husband kicked them out and they are having to stay with my sister it’s getting crowded here she has her daughter and grandkids here to please help I’m on disability

        1. Hello, I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s situation, however she can apply for housing assistance as a single mother while you apply for the Section 811 voucher for people with disability. To get further information on how to apply for housing assistance as a single mom, kindly read the previous article here. You can also visit the PHA office to submit your section 8 voucher application.

          1. Hello Angelina,

            If you have reached 62 years or older.

            Let me know if there’s anything we can help? Thanks!

          2. Hi l need housing. I’m a working 64 year old woman that is living in a 2 bedroom with my daughter and her son. I need a home ASAP please help me. I need a 1 bedroom apartment.

          3. Hello Darlene,

            We are sorry to hear that! In your case, I think you can qualify for the housing programs for seniors. I highly suggest going to your local PHA office and ask for the best way to apply for the programs you can qualify for. You can also just ask any of your family members to go there in case you aren’t able to. Just make sure to bring all of the possible documents that the PHA might ask.

            Also, you can read and learn more from this article:

            Hope it helps, thank you!

          4. Hello my name is Nancy cuesta im in need of my own place ive lived with my brother and sister in law for6 yrs in retired and live on my social security would appreciate if you can help me with a place TY and god bless

          5. Hello there 🙂

            Have a good day! If you got some extra time, you can join our community and discuss some issues there.

            If you are a person who is struggling or you have a family member, friend, or anybody struggling to get a home or is currently homeless, join us to discuss these topics and let us help each other.

            We love to hear your heartful thoughts on some matters regarding the housing programs and situations in the United States.

            Pls come and join our growing community:

            See you there, thank you!

      2. Hi .my wife and I are both senior citizens, my wife is also disabled. We been informed by our landlord of 16 years that as of 6/1 2022 our rent will increase from 739.00 / 899.00 with my wife disability I have to be home with her. So am saying we will have to stop paying our bills or become homeless

        1. Hello, you can avoid becoming homeless and get assistance to pay your bills and house rent if you and your wife submit an application for the Section 8 housing voucher. You both qualify as senior citizens and your wife can also apply as a disabled in order to get a chance to be placed on the priority list. Visit your local housing authority office and explain your present situation to the officials there.

        1. Hi Ann, register for the Section 811 housing program to get your housing needs sorted out. Register online or the local housing authority office

      3. We live in an apartment. I am 68 ONLY get Medicaid. Less than 850. A month. My husband gets a check 200. Or alot less a month. I have COPD emph chrones and I can’t stay by myself, but I have to. I just had surgery on my arm and can’t do anything. At 68 years old I do not Qualify for Medicare as I was raised in no fault of mine did not know about anything of what was to come. I only qualify for medicaid. I have no teeth, COPD emph chrones and do things my self or what my husband can do. This may sound strange , but it is all true. I don’t get benefits like others. Thanks 🙏🙏

      4. I been homeless for almost 20 years and I had a stroke I am looking for a place to stay I have 3 kids and we are in need of a place to stay please help me God 😢😪

        1. Hello Sharon,

          We are sorry to hear that! In your case, there were a lot of programs that might possibly help you and your kids.
          Maybe the first best step to do is to go or contact your local public housing authority office and express your situation to them and ask for the right program that will fit in your situation. And what program to get you help from faster.

          And to get more information, you can read this article:

          Hope it helps. Thank you!

    2. Hello. I have a place but I’m likely to lose it. I moved here with a roommate who has moved Out. I’m stuck with pay the whole rent in order to stay here. I need assistance ASAP! I will be homeless by the end of the month. I’m a former LA County Probation officer. I need help.

  2. I’m interested in the rapid housing program, I recently became homeless due to covid! I had to move out of my apartment because I could no longer pay rent, I lived at my apartment for 10 years prior to Covid I was assisted minimally by Texas Rent Relief, but they took to long with help after I requested additional assistance, and was evicted I’m 64 years old and on retired social security and snap program, I could use any assistance in finding a place to live!

      1. I have to be out of where I live by March 31/22.
        Never been faced with this situation before .Absolutey nothing avaible interested in foreclosures by nobody keeps the list up to date. Everything is so expensive.Honestly don’t know what to do. I had a stroke it effected me a lot. I am retired 68 yr old woman alone .i would love to stay in area I live but anywhere will work. Please respond asap
        Thank you

        Marilyn H.

        1. hello, you would have to apply to section 8 with the PHA office. This grants you access to affordable homes.

    1. Im 53 yrs old disabled and facing homelessness I’m having a terrible time try to get the help I need for housing pleas contact me A S.A.P

      1. hi the section 8 housing voucher caters for people with disability and the elderly. Therefore you should submit an application for the section 8 by visiting a close by oha office or online via the HUD website.

        1. I am in need of houseing I been sleeping in my car and taking showers where I can pl help me soon as u can pl 724*******

          1. Kindly submit your application for the section 8 housing voucher when you visit the local housing authority office in your area.

    2. I’m being told that my rent is 700.00 and I will not be able to afford it I all I get is 801.00 a month and I am disabled and I don’t have any transportation or place to live if you can help me 214-***-****

      1. hi, submitting a section 8 application would allow you to get affordable housing at the preferred location of your choice. Visit the local housing authority to submit one

    1. To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

    1. To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

      1. Note: The program ended on September 30, 2012. HPRP funds are no longer available

        That’s what I got when I went to the website

        1. Hello this is Robert A. i am 53 yrs old my wife just passed 3 months ago i am on the street living in the car with my english bulldog i am a cancer patient who is battled Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma for 15 years I’ve had three tours of chemotherapy and radiation MyHealth he’s not all that I really need to get placed somewhere I live in Las Vegas Nevada and it’s very tough to get resources here can you help

          1. I am so sorry about the loss of your wife and hoping you get all the medical attention you need for yourself. Kindly get in touch with the PHA office either through the HUD website or by visiting a physical office to submit an application for the Section 8 housing voucher. You can also explain to the officials your present situation s you might get lucky to be placed on the priority list.

    1. Looking for a home I can buy with 3 bedrooms and 2 bath that I can afford . I get $850 a month and I have no deposit to put down on a house, but I want to find one I can pay for.

      1. The Section 8 housing voucher is to assist low-income earners to pay their rent bills. For your need to buy a home, you may have to speak with an official at the PHA office to get more information on what to do.

      1. Hi,my name is Joyce R. and I have a daughter that has artisum and she is 2yrs old.i been staying in a hotel for a week now paying 627.00 a whole check cause we don’t have nowhere to go no I m gonna have to leave tomorrow with nowhere to go.please help me

        1. Hi Joyce,

          To get affordable housing assistance for single moms, check back on our previous article on housing assistance for single moms here. You would be able to get other housing assistance with faster response than the section 8.

    1. Hi, the PHA program assist in paying utility bills which is called the “utilities allowance” and this can help you in taking care of some of your bills. Youu can contact the PHA through your local housing authority to find out your eligibility and steps to apply for this Section 8 program.

    2. I need help by may 1st . I have lived here for 3 years and am now 65 yes old and disabled due to a horrid accident in 2010 leaving me as I am yet. I need help soon.

      1. hello, sorry about your accident. You can apply for the Section 8 housing voucher for the disabled to get affordable housing of your choice. You may submit an online application here.

  3. How do I get in touch with Continuum of Care to apply for the program? Is there a phone number or email? Thank you for reaching out to me.

  4. Hi my name is luanne I'm in a hotel since September 1 2021 I got flooded out of my apartment and lost everything I need help with housing and applying for section 8and get a application for section 8 mailed to me and get low income housing I'm on disability

    1. Hi, the Section 811 is a government housing program which is specifically made available for the disabled with low-income. To apply for the Section 811, you have to get in touch with your local housing authority which can get a list of PHA offices nearest to you by clicking this link Also, you can submit your application at without having to go to a physical office if that is convenient for you.

    1. you can check with your local housing authority for possible housing relief options available or they can in turn pair you with a nonprofits to render further assistance. Contact HUD through this link:

    1. the Section 202 housing program is for the elderly in the society with low income. Through the partnership of HUD and nonprofits, the elderly aged 62 and above can get affor housing. Contact the nearest HUD office through this link: or call (800) 955-2232 (Toll-Free).

  5. I am in need of housing immediately I am getting kicked out of here because my landlord is unfair she's discriminative and I am getting blamed for things that I don't even do I need a house immediately I go to court on the 8th and I do not know what is going to be said please help me

    1. landlords are prohibited from discriminating against people from renting houses because of their race, religion, nationality, and disability. Housing discrimination is prohibited by law and regarded as a criminal offence. Any tenant who is denied housing rights or inability to rent a property can take up the case and report such a landlord to the appropriate authorities, and justice is ready to be served to anyone caught in the act of home bullying. You can contact HUD to file your report and get further assistance through the link:

    1. Hi Janell,

      To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

    1. To get help for emergency housing, it is important you contact your local public housing authority on how to apply for Section 8. If you have a situation that centers on potential homelessness, you can save the situation by contacting a homeless counseling center or emergency homeless housing center in your local area for immediate assistance.

  6. I'm on disability. I'm staying with family member homeless. I trying to get my own place but having trouble cant pay rent and depoist all at once .. have 6 kids grown and I'm trying to be a mom and have my own place I'm 46 years old . I need help dont no what low income places .I been trying to sighn up for emergency help please I'm desperet

    1. The Section 8 program assist people with disability and in need of emergency housing. If you qualify for the Section 8 program, you may be placed on an emergency waiting list but you have to contact your local public housing authority. You can check here for a list of PHA office in your area to get in contact with.

  7. How and where do I apply For the CoC rehousing program? And are there any homes in Phoenix the are with the pro9

    1. To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

  8. I nd help with my rent I'm disabled and my son is disabled and we can't get no assistance in housing please can u help us thank you and God bless you

    1. You can apply for a Section 811 voucher which is a federal rent subsidy for low-income tenants living with disability. The Section 811 voucher is administered under the same rules as the Section 8 voucher which means you need to contact your local PHA office to start your application.

  9. I have been homeless now since August 13, 2021.

    Can't seem to find a place due to my credit score being 601.


    Rhonda C.

    1. To apply for rapid rehousing program, you need to check your eligibility in order to qualify for a rental assistance. To check eligibility, visit your local housing agency or click here: for further assistance.

      To get in touch with the CoC program, you can do so by first of all getting in touch with your local housing agency to submit applications for the program or call directly on: 617-573-1390

  10. Where and how do I apply for rapid rehousing program? Who do I need to contact? Also where do I get a case manager?

  11. I'm a homeless unprotected vet that needs emergency housing under the CoC or the Rapid Rehousing Program. Please get in touch with me ASAP, please.

  12. Hi my name is Damark W. and I'm in need of this rapid re-housing. I'm sick of being stuck outside living homeless. I would rather have a home and live just home — less …so please if you are willing to help me please do my email is ********** thank you for your time .

  13. Thank you so much for that information, really lost and no guidance. So where do I go to apply for rapid house assistance?

  14. I am interested in the rapid housing program. I stay with a friend but we have no heat or water, i am on SSI and medicaide and need a place asap

  15. It's all bulshit there's no such thing as an emergency they don't help you have to be on a waiting list and God only knows how long it would take I'm homeless now for over a year and this will help out there for me.

    1. Because of the high demand of affordable housing, and comparatively low supply, it is not rare to be on a waiting list for several years. Also, the Section 8 and Public Housing programs tend to have the longest waiting list. To however gain priority, you can call your local public housing authority every 2-3 months to confirm that you’re still on the list and whether you’re moving up. You can also call your local HUD office and request the same information.

  16. Yes I'm going to I'm on the verge of being homeless while I am homeless but you know I'm still making it I'm still going to drive to make it cuz that's all I can do I'm just need to South Carolina and I just got to let go of my job it will seasonal but you know everything works out for a reason and I just need to find a home to be stable in I said my brother but I'm also being pushed out

    1. Hi Darrius,

      Please visit the Public Housing Authority in your state to check check for housing benefits you qualify for.

  17. Good morning, my name is Paula S.. I am struggling to keep my families heads above water. Please provide me with the information 'Continuum of Care (CoC) Program, Rapid Rehousing. The landlord where we are renting is a very horrible person. We moved into this house on March 1, 2019. The rent was $1,795.00 a month. March 27, 2020, she raised the rent again to 1,995.00. The following year, March 27, 2021, she raised the rent rent again to $2,75.00. She raised the late fee to $100.00, and a three day notice fee $100.00. My daughter asked the landlord will you be raising the rent for March 27, 2022 ? The landlord replied and said, "No". On January 6, 2022, we received a a letter written by the landlord Cheng Tong, stating that they are raising the rent up to $2,280. The late fee will be $150.00, three day notice fee $100.00. This lady is very impossible. Before moving into this house I explained to this lady that I will be late on my rent due to I have a medical disability and my STD checks are not always on time and they may become late. I asked her do she understand? Cheng replied by saying, 'Yes'. I continue to repeat this over and over again. Me and my daughter paid the late fee with no exception. Me and my daughter continued to keep open communication with her. We had a verbal agreement. Not only did we pay the late fee when we are late, we also paid extra money to her when we paid the rent on time to add to our rent for the following months to come. Cheng Tong took the extra money which we had sent for our rent and put it in her pocket instead of applying it to our next month rent. I feel that we are being taking advantage of. We asked her what happen to the extra money we sent with the rent? She has yet to respond. I have been asking her the replace the garbage disposal since October 2021. She asked me to send her a video of the garbage disposal, and I did as she requested. She replied, "It seems to be working to me". I replied the motor is going out because it is humming. She replied, " If you all broke it, I'm going to charge you for it, plus the service fee, for the person to come out to fix ". I responded to her remarks by saying, "We didn't brake the garbage disposal, it just stopped working". Please help, Paula. Email address:*******

    1. Hello Paula,

      For more information about this program go to the HUD Exchange site. For additional resources for homeless persons or persons at risk of becoming homeless go to the Housing and Homeless Assistance page. Also, you may choose to visit the HUD office in your state.

  18. I think reading This truly inspired me, however I am a single struggling mother of 6 I live with family and I am trying to keep my family together with only 2 bedrooms to work with one bed and a couch it’s been very hard , no vehicle and I would absolutely love to be able to apply to this program as soon as possible i am unaware of resources that are available to me I hope I can find my way to help after reading this , a weight was lifted off my shoulders as I read through this article in hope that things can change for me and my children I hope that someone will reach out to me and guide me into the right direction stability is the goal for me it is the most important thing That I as a mother needs for my children I am struggling as a single mother and I had my children so close together life and reality hit me hard and I had no clue how hard this was going to be I am hoping to get information on how to apply to this Continuum of Care (CoC) Program, Rapid Rehousing. thanks so much

    1. Hi Whitney,

      There are housing benefits you may qualify for as a single mother. To apply, contact a public housing agency (PHA) in your state.

  19. Im homeless been looking to get on section 8 i just moved to Houston area in October my medical correspondent has been helping me to get on the program also but aps want take the case cause of my age i have health conditions to deal with and kids that i need to get shelter for soon and im on my last leg dont know where to turn i go to these websites that say they are for section 8 but get call back for insurance. Im having to leave the place were im at due to the fact there to many of us there,and i have to go tend to some personal matters back home but even back home i dont have a place to stay due to domestic violence &sexual assault i have been in safe house hereand was kick out because i found out what the manger was doing and i spent my last dime on that place so that not another option that i want take with kids with me when i get back im on a set income and government assistance and i really need youll help please

  20. Please help me my husband Malcom passed away on November 19th 2020 I am about to lose my home I have no where to go.

    1. Sorry about your loss. Please visit your local Public Housing Authority for housing benefits you many qualify for.

  21. I am running out of time. I quality for several programs and grants. There are no applications, to fill out, on the internet. I have left several messages, with no response. Could someone please get a hold of me so, I have more options.?

    1. Hi Angela,

      You can apply online, by mail or at your local housing authority’s office. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you

  22. I need to move. Landlord doesnt wish to place money in getting things fix. I need something to rent to own no higher than 500.00 a month

    1. Obtain an application for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program by contacting your local Public Housing Agency (PHA).

    1. If you are interested in rapid housing, contact the local PHA. For further assistance, please contact the HUD Office nearest to you.

  23. I really need a home. I’m on disability and I can’t afford anything. I want to move back to SC, where I’m from. Please help me. Thank you.

    1. Local agencies provide a range of services, including food, housing, health, and safety. Locate an organization near you or contact a local housing authority near you.

  24. I'm a single 50yr homeless woman looking for rapid rehousing in Sacramento ,ca . Would appreciate a help I could possibly get! Thank you

    1. The Rapid Re-Housing program is designed to move individuals and families quickly out of homelessness and shelters through case management and housing location services as well as short-term financial assistance with rent, utilities, or deposits. To get information on how to apply, contact your state housing authority.

  25. I'm at looking 4 home asap my rent went from 1200 2 1800 a month I can't afford that much I am on social security I have 3 grandchildren that I take care of I am about 2 become hom homeless in the next fee weeks .I really need help I don't want 2 be on the streets with my grandchildren. Help please.

    1. Hi Gloria,

      Apply for low income housing. To apply, contact a public housing agency in your state for a Housing Choice Voucher.

  26. Im homeless with a 14 year olpregnana 17 year old daughter who is currently pregnant she due 03/24/2022 she is having a hard pregnancy cuz we're homeless. I'm also trying to get away from a abusive relationship

    1. There is a program that helps single moms find housing: the Housing Choice Voucher, known as Section 8. To apply, the first thing you need to do is contact your local public housing agency (PHA). You’ll need to fill out an application that asks for your family’s income and assets, how many people are in your family, etc. Once it is completed, the PHA will verify all your information and determine your eligibility.

  27. I'm homeless with a 14year old son and a 17 year old daughter who is currently pregnant and is having a hard pregnancy cuz we're homeless I'm also trying to get away from a abusive relationship

    1. There is a program that helps single moms find housing: the Housing Choice Voucher, known as Section 8. To apply, the first thing you need to do is contact your local public housing agency (PHA). You’ll need to fill out an application that asks for your family’s income and assets, how many people are in your family, etc. Once it is completed, the PHA will verify all your information and determine your eligibility.

  28. Hi I'm interested in wrapping rapid housing I don't know how to apply for it I don't even know how to apply for section 8 but I would like to get it I need a place as soon as possible can you please help

    1. Hi Georgianna,

      The Rapid Re-Housing program is designed to assist households to rapidly exit homelessness and return to permanent housing. It is offered without preconditions and the services provided are tailored to the needs of the household. To apply, contact your local PHA.

  29. We are interested in the program to find housing fast my girlfriend and me, we are living in the streets in a tent for almost 4 years and we dont want to live no more on the streets. We were homeless before the pandemic and after it was difficult for us to apply for housing.

    1. Hi Maria,

      A: If you are interested in applying for public housing, contact your local housing authority . If you have trouble contacting the housing authority , contact the local HUD Field Office.

  30. Hello I live in a 2 bdrm apartment with my daughter,we have only one income which is mine $ $810.00 We need hsg please help I'm 68 disabled,my daughter is 19 disabled.

    1. Please apply for section 811 at your local PHA. The Section 811 program allows persons with disabilities to live as independently as possible in the community by subsidizing rental housing opportunities which provide access to appropriate supportive services. Section 811 program is authorized to operate in two ways: by providing interest-free capital advances and operating subsidies to nonprofit developers of affordable housing for persons with disabilities and by providing project rental assistance to state housing agencies.

  31. Thank you for getting touch with me because right now my situation is this I currently have been living with my grandmother for the last year and a half . She was 100 yrs old and on Jan 18th she passed away and I will have to be moving real soon because she had a reverse mortgage on her house now it’s going to be sold to pay back the lender so I am going to be without housing coming up soon. I did qualify for Housing voucher and have been on the list since Dec. 2020. I just called yesterday to check on status and was on hold for 2hrs. Then I was told that their not working on the most recent list but the 2006 list . I asked if there was another emergency housing that I could get in touch with she told me no . Amazing now I see why California has such a homeless problem. They’re accepting for voucher but not using the most recent. I would love help from CoC .

  32. i am in desperate need to find housing through the rapid=rehousing program im 63 years old i just recovered from double pnemonia and while i was recovering i was illegaly evicted and the manager would not allow mr to get any of my things from the two bdrm i wa renting she claimed she threw them away,i have nothing left everyrhing i own they kept without giving notice or writing a itemized list but as my family wa packing up my place thank god they did. im sleeping on couches of my family and friends as a senior citizen recently widowed i think i deserve a safe clean place to call home so i can start rebuilding what was taken from me can you please help me or direct me to someone who can, im fighting depression and the feeling of just giving up

    1. Hi Muriel,

      In order to qualify for Section 8, you need to work with your local public housing agency (PHA). Your PHA will determine your eligibility for the Section 8 program based on your total annual income and the size of your family.

  33. I contacted HUD housing and they said they couldn’t help me . They’re working on 2006 list not the recent one. Time is of the essence in my situation . Or I join on the streets.

    1. Hi Kimberly,

      Sorry about that. It is understandable as some housing authorities have a lot of backlog. Try again by applying at another local public housing authority near you.

  34. I am very interested and this program I am semi homeless and I need somewhere to stay fast I am saying how's the house and I really don't like being in shelters or anything else so please help me fast I pray in the name of Jesus

    1. Hi Lloyd,

      To get housing, you would need to apply at your local PHA. There, you would get help on how to go about it.

  35. I’m interested in Rapid housing Program due to the fact that I’m not making enough income I am homeless and I am going to be a mother I need urgent assistance

    1. Please contact your local community action agency for information or to apply for the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.

  36. ******* My me is nashalanda I need assistance Rapid Rehousing program would be perfect for me. Be on HUD Housing waiting list for 7 years. I remember when I got on. For the third time within 7 years. No progress
    Been homeless for 2 years now what do I do been checking my emails. Still no progress. no one’s contacted me.

    1. Hello Nashalanda,

      Please don’t wait for them to contact you. You should regularly contact the PHA you registered at to know your waitlist status. To apply for rapid rehousing, simply search online and you’d get access to the application form.

  37. I’m a bout to become homeless with nowhere to go. Permanently disabled severe chronic health problems. Serious need of help have ssdi

  38. Plz help how do I connect with the CoC program my 15yr old daughter and myself have been homeless for over 2yrs….

  39. I’m in desperate need of affordable housing…I receive SSI DISABILITY and have recently been displaced

  40. I just found out my landlord is renting the basement without approval of code violations. I have been living here sense 12/19 I have heart desease and pulmonary hypertension. This man will not put out any money for fixing things like black mold, servicing the furnace witch you can smell strongly when comes on. Plumbing issues. I want to know what I should do. I don’t have money to move, but I think maybe having inspection and he is given the violations would he have to foot the bill for me to relocate ,? I just am so upset and don’t know what I can do. I don’t want to die in this death trap. Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions?

    1. Hello,
      you can speak with the local housing authority to caution your landlord and if you need to apply for housing assistance, you can submit an application on the HUD website.

  41. Hi, Please inform me about locating an affordable apartment in Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts and Ohio on a social security income. Thank you! God Bless You!

    1. To get information on affordable housing in Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts, and Ohio, visit the HUD website to get PHA office addresses and numbers for further information.

  42. Hello,
    I’m in need of a place to live,
    I’m 63 have 2 small babies my doggies Doggett and Doc both 3 yrs old house trained see in Dec,2021 I’ve been homeless living here and there with so called friends that just won’t let you stay they get the rent money and then start tell you that you’ve got to go
    And start calling the law everyda for nothing I’ve got toget somewhere to get to stay I’m running out of out of so called freinds and still haven’t one place to go to help me getmyself and my
    Family I a real home.

    1. Hi, to get the home you desire for your family, I advice you submit and application for Section 8 either online or by visiting a PHA close to you.

  43. I will be homeless on April 30. I am 65yrs.old and disabled. Where I live now they are selling the house. I live on Social Security Disablity only make 860.00 a month
    Please help me!!!! My cellphone number is ***

    1. Kindly visit the local housing authority office to register for the Section 202 which is focused on assisting the elderly to get affordable housing.

    1. Hello Danytria,

      As a felon, you can get public housing too. For more information, please go through our detailed article here on how a felon can get housing. This should help you on where to get started. All the best.

  44. I need so much help I’m living in my car I appreciate every guys put me in a motel or whatever you can put me up so I can shower and take better care of myself I’d appreciate it and if anything God bless you and thanks very very much for helping me in applying to me as quick as you guys do can you please help me

    1. Hello Augustine,

      I am sorry to hear that. Actually, there is Low-income housing that is available nationwide. And there’s a big possibility that you’ll gonna skip the long waiting list.
      You need to contact or go to your local public housing authority (PHA) to give you the best public housing program.

      The public housing program is usually handled by the community Public Housing Authority (PHA) with permission from the federal government. The public housing authority assists low-income earners, the elderly, and people with disabilities to get comfortable housing with affordable rent.

      To know more about this, go visit this article:

      Hope it helps. All the best!

  45. The problem I have is not being homeless now it is the fact I am waiting for the rent to go up another two something and I know it will be soon as right now I’m struggling me and my disabled sons incomes can’t afford this increase can you help us get a place before we are homeless?

  46. I’m 44 year’s old. I was shot in the back 4 Months ago and it left me paralyzed from my mid belly down. My SSI application is only 40% completed. I do get snap. But I’m homeless and having to move around from place to place and its really hard being wheelchair bound. What can I do to find emergency housing that is handicap equipped. Thanks

    1. Hello James,

      We are very sorry to hear that! There are a lot of programs that might fit your situation. Especially knowing that you are disabled, you can avail of the programs focused on persons with disabilities. We highly suggest going or contacting your local PHA Office and telling your situation and asking for the best way to apply for any programs for which you are qualified. In case you are not able to go there by yourself, you can ask any of your family members to take place on your behalf. Just make sure to bring proof of your situation.

      By the way, you can also read and learn from these articles:

      Hope it helps, thank you!

  47. I’m about to be without a home due to falling behind on the $900 rent here. I have a 4 year old and get no child support. I have nowhere to go and matter of weeks to figure this out. Where I’m from they only open the section 8/hud waitlist to get your name on it once every year or two so none of that is possible here. I’m at a loss what to do but I’m losing everything I’ve worked so hard for. Don’t want to lose my son too because of all this and having no home.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *